What exactly is a mentor? What are the characteristics of a mentor?
Mentoring is a process to help a Christian grow in eight basic characteristics:
- Compassion for others.
- Genuine respect for those of differing character.
- Confidentiality and the ability to develop trust with others.
- Honesty and Self-disclosure.
- Growing in an understanding of God’s Word by a healthy process of studying scripture.
- Spiritual Growth that develops in an understanding of one’s Spiritual Gifts.
- A growing knowledge of how to discern the leadership and direction of the Holy Spirit.
Mentoring calls for a Christian to have a desire to grow and surround themselves with those who can help them accomplish those goals.
Mentoring is founded upon relationships. Mentoring does not require perfection but it does demand commitment. Here are some practical steps you can take to be a mentor:
- Identify your skills, strengths, or particular expertise that would benefit another?
- Develop that area and strength through education, self study, and personal discipline.
- Acquaint yourself with the philosophy and techniques of mentoring.
- Look for God’s direction to lead you to use your strengths with others. Look for those with a willingness to learn.
- Allow God to develop the outcome of those being taught.
If you would like more information regarding the Mentoring Ministry of PSBC please share your contact information below and a member of the Ministry Team will contact you.